Winter school holidays are hard for parents. All that not-so-friendly weather outside can make it really difficult to find indoor activities to keep the kids happy (and keep their sanity in the process!). That’s why our client, Central Geelong, requested something special for the two-week winter school holiday break.
What did we deliver?
Unicornia, a magical world filled with unicorns, mermaids and dragons. A dreamy place where both children and adults could let their inner dreamer loose and indulge in all the wonders that these fantastical creatures offer.
How did it work?
Unicornia incorporated multiple tactile elements to engage little ones’ senses. They could wander through a ribbon forest and explore magical treasures along the way to Mermaid Lake.
Or they could get creative at Small World Play, making ‘PlayDoh’ wonders, painting Perspex prisms or building their own version of Unicornia with My Little Pony figurines and rainbow-shaped building blocks. And of course, we can’t forget our flock of kid-size ride-on unicorns!
Another important element of our activation was our food craft activities, held during the second week of Unicornia to coincide with the centre’s Tastes of Central Geelong festival. Kids enjoyed making fairy-tale food such as tiny tea cups, teddy bear cars and unicorn breath fairy floss.
- Bright theming in beautiful pastel colours, think ribbons, glitter backdrops & teepees
- Clothes rack containing unicorn, mermaid and dragon dress-ups to help kids get into the spirit of Unicornia
- Plenty of photo backdrops to encourage happy snaps
- Ride-on unicorns
- Small World Play featuring Playdoh, building blocks & Perspex prisms painting stations
- Interactive elements such as magical treasures, Mermaid Lake & Ribbon Forest
- Tie-in with Tastes of Central Geelong Festival with food-related craft activities (tiny tea cups, teddy bear cars, unicorn breath fairy floss, gingerbread men & fairy bread)
- Two educators/supervisors to help kids turn their unicorn and dragon dreams into reality (and to also give the parents a little breather!)
What did it achieve?
Unicorns are on-trend right now (actually, they have been for a while!). So it’s no surprise that Unicornia pulled in great crowds each day during the two-week activation.
Some key outcomes:
- Parents had options – they could join in the Unicornia fun (and many did!) or relax in comfort in an adjacent area while watching their children play safely.
- The right space – the huge vacant tenancy gave us ample room to spread the activation out so kids could explore their creative side without getting in each other’s way.
- Multi-pronged activation – this activation had SO much to offer and as such, kids and parents enjoyed prolonged stays and visited more than once. Kids could choose to be active, or simply enjoy some quiet, creative time and let their little imaginations roam free.
Taking it further
There are almost no-bounds when it comes to Unicornia! It’s very easy to expand the activation exponentially by including additional activities and create a bespoke unicorn festival. To find out more about the possibilities, head over to our Centretainment Unicornia page.
But if you’d like to find out more now, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!